Open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm




                                     Brexit and your Passport



On the 1st February 2020, three and a half years after the historic 2016 referendum, Britain officially left the European Union but that's not the end of the Brexit story. The UK has now entered an 11-month period, known as the transition, that keeps the UK bound to the EU's rules until 31st December 2020. 

The good news however is that for travel to Europe in 2020, it's business as usual!


After 31st December there is still a possibility that the UK could leave the European Union without a deal, however for anyone travelling to Europe in 2020 nothing changes and you will NOT be required to do anything different or have any additional documentation.


For Travel after 31st December 2020 we are still recommending that as a precautionary measure, that any customer travelling with a passport that expires within six months of their date of travel get their passport renewed as soon as possible.


The main point of the advice is that, in the event of a No Deal Brexit, UK nationals travelling to the European Union needs to have 6 months left on their UK passport from the date of travel (this applies to both adult and child passports).


They also point out that people who have had extra months added to their existing 10 year UK passport, because they renewed their old passport before it expired, may find that these additional months do not count towards the 6 months that should be remaining.


We are still fairly confident that common sense will prevail and a deal will be agreed to avoid a ‘no deal’ scenario, however,

this advice from the Government will at least prepare us all should this not be the case.






                                      Brexit and your Driving Licence




Will the UK driving licence be accepted in the EU after Brexit?


Yes, your UK driving licence will still be valid for driving in Europe up until at least 31st December 2020. This may of course change in 2021 in the case of a no deal.



So what do I need to do as a visitor driving in the EU?


Nothing, up until 31st December 2020 driving licence rules will remain unchaged


If there’s no deal at the end of the transition period, you may need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to be able to drive in some European countries as a visitor after the UK has left.

Check this guidance page for full information:


They cost £5.50 and are valid for a year.



I want to drive in Ireland; will I need an IDP?


No, it has been agreed that your UK driving licence will still be valid on its own while you are driving in Ireland.



What about drivers from the EU coming to the UK?


The Department for Transport has already agreed that the United Kingdom will continue to recognise the EU driving licence as valid.





                                   Brexit - Healthcare when travelling in the EU





Again, during the transition period everything remains unchanged, however if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31st December 2020, your access to healthcare when travelling to EU countries may change. We always recommend you should continue to buy travel insurance and make sure that any insurance product you buy has the necessary healthcare coverage for any treatment you might require. UK citizens are always advised to take out travel insurance when going overseas, both to EU and non-EU destinations.


If you are currently using an EHIC issued by the UK, this will still be valid until we leave the EU.


The UK Government is seeking agreements with EU countries, on healthcare arrangements for UK nationals.

This guide will be updated with further information on travelling to France as the circumstances change.


Click here for further details -



Vehicle insurance for UK registered vehicles in the EU


A motor insurance Green Card is evidence of motor insurance cover when driving abroad.


The EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland are part of a Green Card-free circulation area. Currently, you do not need a motor insurance Green Card to drive a UK registered vehicle in these countries.


In the event that there is no EU Exit deal and the European Commission does not make a decision ensuring that UK registered vehicles will not be checked for proof of insurance, drivers of UK registered vehicles will need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA.


Some countries also require separate insurance for trailers. This means that you may also need a separate Green Card for your trailer.


Contact your vehicle insurance provider to obtain a motor insurance Green Card.



Please note: This advice is for general information only. You should not rely on this information to make or refrain from making any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.

UK Government's Brexit Advice

Brexit panel Driving License UK 2994260 © Passport 25637897 © EHIC Card Brexit Update